Sunday, October 18, 2009

An inspiring story about a little girl and her dad.


Wow! What an amazing thing! This was a wonderful assignment for me and I really was touched by Kaia and her dad. I thought it was wonderful to see that they were taking everyday, ordinary experiences and turning them into unique and extraordinary ones. The pictures allowed them to openly and personally communicate with Mr. Chamberlain's class. It was a wonderful way for them to interact and engage with the students. The voice thread that Mr. Chamberlain created was so sweet and added such a personal touch for Kaia and her dad. I thought the pictures Kaia took were beautiful and I admire her dad for the quick learning of technology at such an early age. The "life lesson" he was teaching her was emphasized through looking at all things and turning them into something beautiful. It only takes a special way at looking at things. If you look at them right, then all things CAN be beautiful!! What a sweet story between a young girl and her father. I think we can all learn a life lesson from them.

This story also encouraged me to do more things like this with my own children and my classroom students. However, I do get concerned in this day and time about posting pictures on the web sites. I think it is great to implement learning beyond the walls of the classroom and follow our curiosity. I think it is great to turn those experiences into stories and then use technology to weave those stories together. However, it is a huge risk that we are taking in exploding our kid's pictures. While I think this story of Kaia and her dad was a wonderful one. I am not sure if I as a parent/teacher am that brave yet. I do commend him on a sweet and touching learning experience with his daughter. It is great to see the love he has for her and the involvement in her educational opportunities. To see this touching story for yourself, please visit http://is.gd/3WS1N.

1 comment: