Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The New Media Literacies by the NML Staff

The new media skills needed for our current and future technology.






In this assignment, we watched a video on skills needed for the new media. The skills covered were:
* judgement
* negotiation
* appropriation
* play
* transmedia navigation
* simulation
* collective intelligence
* performance
* distributed cognition
* visualization
* multitasking
These skills enable others to function both in the classroom and workplace. They are skills needed for workers and artists of the future. They are skills that are beneficial for both consumers and producers. They enable involvement in the creative expression and citizenship areas. They connect people together in a unique way as opposed to individual levels. Some of the skills were described in detail. For example, judgement was defined as finding information and determining if it is reliable. Negotiation was knowing how to entertain groups under the norm. Appropriation was defined as knowing how to sample content in a meaningful way. Play was described as having experiences with your surroundings and using these experiences as a form of problem solving.

I think these skills are necessary and can be very effective in both the classroom and workplace. They are skills we should model and instill into our students to mature them into the adults for our future generation. In this video, I found that I did assume some of these skills. It showed me where I was strong and where I was weak. I think my strengths would be visualization, judgement, negotiation and play. I think the ones I might need to work on the most are multitasking and transmedia navigation. I think that through continuous learning and practice, I can effectively acquire those skills as well. For more information on these skills,visit http://www.youtube.com/user/NMLstaff08. I think it is definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment