Sunday, October 4, 2009

iTunes University

Information about iTunes University


This assignment was about researching iTunes University. We were to research ways in which it could be helpful to us as a student or teacher. Upon reviewing the material, I found both advantages and disadvantages to using iTunes University. Basically, it is a place where you could find and download audio and/or visual content that you may find useful in your course of study. It allows you to store tracks into a library that are reverent to your source. You can listen and learn from lectures given by professors at other universities. I think this is a great way to see what others have to offer. You log in to iTunes University, choose your category and explore the endless opportunities all at your finger tips. There is not limits to what and where you can learn.

I think this is a great source for seeking further enhancements on what you may want to learn or teach. As a teacher, I think it offers a lot for us to research and share with our students. We could also provide them with the links so that they could continue their learning to a higher level. As for students, I think it is an excellent resource for continuing education. However, I do not feel it should take the place of the actual course of lecture. When I was researching about this, I found a study that had been completed where some students actually attended a class lecture and then tested on the material. Other students listened to the lecture on podcast and took the same test. The study stated that the students who did the podcast lecture seemed to achieve a higher score than the students who actually attended class. This may be true, but I feel there is more to class attendance than just hearing the lecture. I feel that the student/teacher relationship can only be built by the personal interaction that the class itself brings. I also feel that the students bond better and learn from each other from a "group setting" rather than an individual podcast lecture. While I do think the podcast is a useful tool, I do not think it should take the place of the classroom setting. Students learn better and achieve more when they have the personal interaction between teacher and fellow students. To learn more on iTunes University and how it may benefit you as a student or teacher, visit www.slideshare.net/hopkinsdavid/itunes-u-education. David Hopkins has a wonderful slide show of what it is about and how many ways it can be of use to you.

1 comment: