Sunday, September 13, 2009

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today


"A Vision of Students Today"
Source: Michael Wesch



Watching this video (http://is.gd/2c0V0) really captivated my thoughts on how far education has changed. My experience in college was nothing like the video. We were just being introduced to computers when I was finishing school. We had one computer class with one computer lab. The lab did not have enough computers for all of us, therefore we had to share. This made it hard to receive "hands on" benefits most of the time. Computers were expensive. As a college student, it was hard to get ONE. Now, college students have the labs, a desk top, a lap top, I - pods, and a blackberry that will all accomplish one goal. Technology is at their finger tips.

It was amazing to see that most students will spend MORE time on their computers or cell phones than anything else. I know that technology has several benefits and conveniences for us. However, I feel as if it has consumed our younger generation so that they are not using their minds and creativity as much. Most of them probably don't use a dictionary or encyclopedia anymore. I feel that it is so convenient for them, that they can face book or text while instruction is going on. Therefore, they could be missing their whole class lesson. Maybe I am old fashion, but I feel like hands-on experiences is the best way of learning. I feel that reading and listening should also be involved in learning along with the enhancement of technology. As a teacher today, I find that comprehension skills are the students weaknesses. This comes from a lack of reading to learn and find information. Instead, they use technology. I just feel that practice and hands-on activities bring learning to life. This would be my addition to the movie to make it more accurately represent my experience, because it is definitely how we learned. Read, go to class, take notes and study!

No comments:

Post a Comment