Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Michael Wesch

Michael Wesh speaks out about the attitudes of today's generation.


In this video, I watched Michael Wesch and I listened as he addressed our culture today and where our culture is headed in the future. He described today's culture as being self centered. Some of the characteristics he described were those with short attention spans, materialistic views, and those not easily impressed. He described the generation as those having a "whatever" attitude. He shared that these characteristics of our generation leaves us being self centered and disengaged because we are focusing on our self. He contributed these things to media. He spoke on how media has created so many ways of relating with others. It also creates new ways of knowing ourselves. He describes the median of communications by saying that it all shapes our messages. He also spoke on the fact that this type of communication is leaves us with not being able to express ourself like we can in a personal way of doing it face to face.

In this assignment, we were to relate this to our personal life, our experiences in college, and our work as a teacher. Personally, I don't like all of these ways. I am the kind of person that likes the "personal touch." If I want to talk with someone, I like to hear their voice or see them personally. I have a hard time relating it to my college days because things weren't like this back then. My college days were long before face book, twitter and all the other ways of communicating existed. Communication was by phone. Cell phones if you were lucky!! The other way was through e-mail, if you had a computer! As for my professionalism as a teacher, I see this type of communication more and more with students and it personally saddens me. I am not against these ways, but I feel kids are losing out on something when they don't know how to personally connect and communicate with others. I also don't favor it, because you can never tell how someone is saying something when it is behind a computer through e-mail, etc... The words and expressions can be taken in the wrong way. I like to communicate with my students' parents through personal communication as much as possible. I also, like it this way as a parent of three students. If you would like to watch the video and comment your own thoughts, please visit
http://is.gd/3WVVZ
.

1 comment:

  1. Very good Chrissy. I agree. It sad-ins me to see that our children do not get outside and just play in the dirt (with spoon in hand) like we (or me at least) did when we were kids. Today they are in front of the TV or video game. Save the sit down time for when we can no longer run and play ;)

    ReplyDelete